Danny Joseph Carmelo

Danny Joseph Carmelo. (Photo courtesy Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office)

An Avondale woman returned from running errands last month to find her boyfriend of two years had allegedly “caused serious physical injury” to her 6-year-old son, according to an Avondale Police report obtained by the West Valley View.

Danny Joseph Carmelo, 30, was arrested and booked into Maricopa County Jail on charges of child abuse, possession of marijuana and possession of paraphernalia.

According to the report, officers were called to the couple’s Avondale residence because the woman was arguing with Carmelo. He left the scene before officers arrived.

The woman, described in the report as “visibly upset,” told officers she ran a series of errands at 9 a.m. June 1 and left several children under Carmelo’s supervision.

When she returned around 1 p.m. she discovered her son had urinated himself, and made him shower. She then saw the boy’s injuries and confronted Carmelo, who reportedly said he didn’t remember.

She told police Carmelo became upset and pushed her against the bedroom wall, but he denied it to police. One of the children reportedly witnessed the alleged assault, the report stated.

Contrary to the woman being told “Danny did it,” Carmelo told police he was asleep at the time of the alleged abuse, and suggested the injury could have come from a visit to the park the previous day.

The fire department, however, suggested the child be transported to Phoenix Children’s Hospital “based on the severity of the injury,” according to the report. An evaluation later revealed the “injuries reflected child physical abuse,” the report said. In response, the Department of Child Safety was contacted. Police were also told the boy would be released that day.

In addition to child abuse, Carmelo was charged with possession of marijuana and paraphernalia. When found and detained that same day, he admitted to having a pipe in his pocket, which had a green leafy substance that tested positive for marijuana.

Though he was eventually booked without incident, he at one point said he was unwell and couldn’t breathe, according to the report. He was evaluated by the fire department at the detention facility, and later by Abrazo West Campus staff for “precautionary reasons” before being released and booked.