Avondale’s Neighborhood and Family Services Department is collecting backpacks and school supply donations before the next academic year.
Each year, Avondale distributes hundreds of backpacks with supplies to students in grades pre-K-8 who are in need, and who live in the communities of Avondale, Tolleson, Litchfield Park and Goodyear.
To help students start the year right, Avondale is reaching out to the community for assistance with school supply donations.
Supplies suggested for donations include:
• Crayons — box of 24
• Colored pencils — box of 12
• Pencils — box of No. 2
• Erasers — red rubber
• Markers — box of 12
• Ruler — 12 inch preferred
• Glue sticks — 4 oz. preferred
• Children’s scissors
• Composition notebooks
• Loose-leaf paper
• Spiral notebooks
• Pocket folders
• Ballpoint pens — packaged
Donations can be dropped off at the Care1st Avondale Resource Center, 328 W. Western Avenue, through July 12. Monetary donations can be made out to Agua Fria Food and Clothing Bank, and can be sent to P.O. Box 845, Avondale, AZ 85323. A $40 donation will provide one child with two brand new school uniforms and a backpack with school supplies.
Backpacks and More registration dates and locations are as follows:
• 9 a.m. to noon Wednesdays May 15, 22 and 29 at the Agua Fria Food and Clothing Bank, 405 E. Harrison Drive, Avondale
• 1 to 5 p.m. Monday, May 20, through Friday, May 24, at the Salvation Army, 11 N. 3rd Avenue, Avondale
• 5 to 7 p.m. Wednesdays May 15 and 29 at the Care1st Avondale Resource Center, 328 W. Western Avenue, Avondale
All registered students (preschool through eighth grade) will receive two new school uniforms and a backpack with supplies. Pre-registration is required, and students must reside in Avondale, Tolleson, Litchfield Park or Goodyear.
Parents/guardians will need to provide photo identification, proof of current address, proof of income, and birth certificates/proof of guardianship for children.
The Backpacks and More Project is offered in collaboration with city of Avondale, Agua Fria Food Bank, Salvation Army and Community Impact.
For more information, email email@example.com or call 623-536-2106.