Buckeye residents are invited to an open house hosted by the water resources department from 6 to 7 p.m. Thursday, May 16, at the Coyote Library, 21699 W. Yuma Road, to discuss the proposed water rate increase.
Residents will also have the opportunity to speak one on one with staff to answer how this proposed increase may affect their monthly bill and also provide written comments.
No formal presentation will be given at the open house.
In addition, residents are encouraged to bring a recent water bill to the meeting and use the water bill estimator at buckeyemubc.phxweb.com/billcalc to see firsthand how the proposed rate changes may affect them.
In January 2018, the water resources department initiated a rate study to develop a multiyear financial plan that can sustain the long-term financial health of both the water and wastewater utilities. The goal was to ensure:
• The rate design recovers costs required to provide service
• Customers pay their fair share of costs
• Reserve levels are maintained based on industry standards
• The long-term financial health of the utility is maintained
• The study determined that a multiyear, 3.5% revenue adjustment was needed for the water utility, but that no increase was required for wastewater.
To learn more about the rate study, the water capital improvement projects and five-year cash flow, visit buckeyeaz.gov/waterratestudy.