Friends of SWFAC
Thank you to Andrea Estrada for the excellent and well-written article in the June 19 edition of the West Valley View. You truly understood and represented the incredible work being done by this multidisciplinary collaboration of our local police departments and the MCSO.
The nonprofit, 501(c)(3) Friends of SWFAC board welcomes support from our communities and businesses to supplement any grants we are able to receive. Please forward checks to FSWFAC at 2333 N. Pebble Creek Parkway, Suite A-200, Goodyear, AZ 85395, or come and tour the site in person to make your donation. We appreciate our friends who help our families grow together for a brighter future. Thank you!
Betty S. Lynch
The presidential candidates who are calling for Medicare for All or free health care for everyone must know that is simply not doable. First, they would have to define the meaning of health care, and no one can do that.
There are some issues in the health care system that can be addressed by legislation using a system that involves doctors and insurers to create a process for independent dispute resolutions or arbitration that takes the insured patient out of the billing process when claims have been denied.
Many people have received surprise bills that come months after an emergency or urgent care visit because a service has been denied by their insurance carrier as an out-of-network issue. Of course, the patient has no choice in an emergency, and insurance companies know this. They should deal with the doctors or labs to negotiate these fees. Patients shouldn’t be involved. Your elected officials need to address this problem.
How to stop a bully
Do what Iran did: slap Donald Trump on the mouth. Real hard.
I thought Donald Trump was gong to trip on his shadow. He didn’t do anything when Iran bombed those oil tankers in the Persian Gulf. Even when Iran came back, we didn’t do anything. We just took pictures. A Democrat would not stand for that.
Donald Trump’s excuse was that if it was one of our allies, he would have done something. Excuse me? Isn’t Japan our ally?
Israel just named a town after Donald Trump, called Trump Heights. It has only 10 people. That’s about his approval rating in the United States of America.
Have you Republicans noticed that not too many Republicans are on the intelligence committee? It makes you wonder, doesn’t it?
Alfred C. Molina
Is democratic socialism an oxymoron; a contradiction? Is democracy compatible with socialism? The brilliant prize winner for economic sciences, Milton Friedman, stated, “A society which is socialist cannot also be democratic, in the sense of guaranteeing individual freedom.” Do freedoms become more limited as a country moves toward socialism? Does controlling individual health care and energy consumption limit basic freedoms of choice? What happened in Venezuela is an example of why socialism inevitably leads to totalitarianism.
In 1998, Lt. Col. Hugo Chavez was elected president of oil-rich Venezuela on a platform of implementing constitutional reforms, eliminating corruption and fighting poverty. To consolidate power, Chavez soon began nationalizing private companies and replacing the professional class with political appointees that drove many businesses into the ground. He used poor people as pawns in promoting class warfare against the rich. Instead of developing new industries, he relied on oil money to prop up his regime. When oil prices started dropping, he started borrowing heavily, which led to gross inflation. In 2013, Chavez died and turned over his socialist utopia mess to Maduro, who was more concerned about holding onto power via the military than incorporating true market reforms. Like a cancer, socialism was introduced until it finally has metastasized into a full-fledged humanitarian disaster with basic needs not being met. Mismanaging economies is symptomatic of all socialist-run countries because they rely heavily on bureaucratic, wasteful government control.
Throughout history, starting with the USSR (Union of Soviet Socialist Republics), socialists have made promises that were either misrepresented or were never kept. Stalin had to kill over 30 million people to ensure compliance with his five-year plan that involved the elimination of private property and forced collectivization. In 1927, Hitler stated, “We are socialists; we are enemies of today’s capitalist system of exploitation.” Hitler later founded the Nazi party (National Socialist German Workers’ Party), which embraced socialism with the goal of gaining full control of the government and all industries.
The majority of young people today under the age of 30 prefer socialism over capitalism. They argue that democratic socialism is a more benign form of socialism, a system that is more fair, equal and just. However, how they plan to implement this more “equal” society is not clear. Like all previous socialists they claim this time it will be different. Dare we trust them with our future?
“Keep America Great.”
Music to every red-blooded patriot’s ears.
To help verify the chronic arguments from Trump-hating, misinformation-spreading letters to the editor, the following points are information released by the White House for public dissemination and transparency about the Trump administration’s accomplishments:
• Almost 4 million jobs created since election. More Americans are now employed than ever recorded before in our history. We have created more than 400,000 manufacturing jobs since the election. Manufacturing jobs growing at the fastest rate in more than three decades.
• Economic growth last quarter hit 4.2%. New unemployment claims recently hit a 49-year low. Median household income has hit highest level ever recorded.
• African-American unemployment has recently achieved the lowest rate ever recorded. Hispanic-American unemployment is at the lowest rate ever recorded. Asian-American unemployment recently achieved the lowest rate ever recorded. Women’s unemployment recently reached the lowest rate in 65 years. Youth unemployment recently hit the lowest rate in nearly half a century. Lowest unemployment rate ever recorded for Americans without a high school diploma. Veterans’ unemployment recently reached its lowest rate in nearly 20 years.
• Almost 3.9 million Americans have been lifted off food stamps since the election. The Pledge to America’s Workers has resulted in employers committing to train more than 4 million Americans. We are committed to vocational education.
• 95% of U.S. manufacturers are optimistic about the future — the highest ever. Retail sales surged last month, up another 6% over last year.
Signed the biggest package of tax cuts and reforms in history. After tax cuts, over $300 billion poured back in to the United States in the first quarter alone. As a result of the Republicans’ tax bill, small businesses will have the lowest top marginal tax rate in more than 80 years.
• Helped win U.S. bid for the 2028 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles. Helped win U.S.-Mexico-Canada’s united bid for 2026 World Cup.
• Opened ANWR and approved Keystone XL and Dakota Access Pipelines. Record number of regulations eliminated. Enacted regulatory relief for community banks and credit unions.
• Obamacare individual mandate penalty gone. The Trump administration is providing more affordable health care options for Americans through association health plans and short-term duration plans.
• Last month, the FDA approved more affordable generic drugs than ever before in history. And thanks to the Trump administration’s efforts, many drug companies are freezing or reversing planned price increases.
• Reformed the Medicare program to stop hospitals from overcharging low-income seniors on their drugs — saving seniors hundreds of millions of dollars this year alone. Signed right-to-try legislation. Secured $6 billion in new funding to fight the opioid epidemic. Reduced high-dose opioid prescriptions by 16% during Trump’s first year in office. Signed VA Choice Act and VA Accountability Act, expanded VA telehealth services, walk-in clinics, and same-day urgent primary and mental health care.
• Increased our coal exports by 60%; U.S. oil production recently reached all-time high. United States is a net natural gas exporter for the first time since 1957.
• Withdrew the United States from the job-killing Paris Climate Accord. Cancelled the illegal, anti-coal, so-called Clean Power Plan.
• Secured record $700 billion in military funding; $716 billion next year. NATO allies are spending $69 billion more on defense since 2016. Process has begun to make the Space Force the sixth branch of the Armed Forces.
• Confirmed more circuit court judges than any other new administration. Confirmed Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch and nominated Judge Brett Kavanaugh, both originalist judges.
• Withdrew from the horrible, one-sided Iran Deal. Moved U.S. Embassy to Jerusalem. Protecting Americans from terrorists with the Travel Ban, upheld by Supreme Court. Issued executive order to keep open Guantanamo Bay.
Concluded a historic U.S.-Mexico Trade Deal to replace NAFTA. And negotiations with Canada are underway now. Reached a breakthrough agreement with the European Union to increase U.S. exports. Imposed tariffs on foreign steel and aluminum to protect our national security. Imposed tariffs on China in response to China’s forced technology transfer, intellectual property theft, and their chronically abusive trade practices. Net exports are on track to increase by $59 billion this year.
• Improved vetting and screening for refugees, and switched focus to overseas resettlement.
• We have begun building the wall. Republicans want strong borders and no crime. Democrats want open borders.